Common mistakes on I am fine

Common mistakes on “I am fine”

other ways to say I am fine
Other ways to say I am fine

The English learners, who learn English as a second language make common mistakes with the phrase "I am fine". Here are some mistakes we can find and rectify in our day to day usage of the English language. 

We may see and hear the following phrases:

I am well, I am good, I am doing good,  I am doing well,  I am doing fine etc.,

The question ‘how are you?" is being asked in general. Most of the people who learn English as their second language answer: I’m fine. Thank you.

Although there are several alternative ways to the phrase ‘how are you’ and alternative answers for ‘I am fine, let’s see a few phrases that can be used instead of I’m fine.

1. I am well.

The word ‘well’ is an adjective that means, in good health especially after having suffered illness or injury.

The answer ‘I am well’ would be an answer to the question ‘how are you doing physically?’ or “how is your health?”

Therefore, the answer ‘I am well’ is wrong when it is asked in general.

2. I am good.

The word ‘good’ takes the role of an adjective which means ‘having moral excellence or admirableness’.

This answer ‘I am good’ would be the answer to the question “How would you describe your character?”

Hence, the answer ‘I am good’ is wrong when it is asked in general.

3. I’m doing good.

The word ‘good’ is an adjective, not an adverb. So, the answer ‘I am doing good’ is grammatically incorrect.

So, the answer should be ‘I am doing well,’ because ‘well’ is an adverb describing how you are doing.

4. I’m doing fine.

The word ‘fine’ is an adjective that means: being satisfactory or in satisfactory condition.


Post a Comment

0 Comments